Monday, January 23, 2012

5 Years In...

Chuck Morris, who teaches youth ministry courses at Freed-Hardeman, recently asked me what I would tell his students as someone who's been at this for nearly five years. These are the two things that immediately came to my mind:

1. Change Takes Time. 

Idealism and optimism are good, but the reality for me has been this: significant change in ministry--in thinking, in attitudes, in programming, in whatever--takes time.

2. Focus on Principles Instead of Specific Models.

Here's an example of a principle: young people need meaningful relationships with faithful adults to increase the likelihood that they will remain faithful. Now there is a plethora of specific models out there to put this principle into action. I spent too much time trying to force-fit ready-made models onto our youth ministry instead of allowing our context to determine how the principle would best fit.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome Joseph. Those two suggestions are spot-on! I have wasted too much time on models which seem to distract from relationships. Great points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you mentioned relationships, because they are more important that any program that needs to be changed or ministry model that we try to implement. Number 1 seems a bit depressing as I read it again and I didn't intend for it to be. Since change takes time, patience is definitely a quality that youth ministers should pray for!

    ReplyDelete