Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Boiled Down

I like trying to condense the Christian life into a few, pithy statements--boiling our existence as Jesus-followers down to its central ideas and practices. Recently, I wrote down 4 statements that I think capture the essence of living Christian-ly:


1.   Love God.
2.   Love others.
3.   Follow Jesus.
4.   Make disciples.


Some quick observations about this list:
  • The order is important. Not in a rigid, non-negotiable way, but there does seem to be a natural flow from 1 to 4.
  • I didn't pull these out of the air. My primary inspiration is Scripture--the Great Commandment and the Great Commission, to be specific. Not to mention other stuff I have read and things I have heard and conversations I have had.
  • This is not a definitive summary of Christian living. It's A way of condensing it, not THE way. Thus:

How would you boil down the Christian life into a few phrases? What is missing from my list?

1 comment:

  1. I think your four are perfect. Totally agree with them. Looking forward to reading your blogs. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete