Monday, August 12, 2013

Summer Ministry Highlights 2

August is a month of transition. Our ministry (and my mind) is making a shift from the craziness and busy-ness of summer to the routine and rhythm of a new school year. But before the transition is complete, I want to take a little time to reflect on some memorable moments from this summer of ministry. (These are being posted in no particular order.)

Dru's Decision
"Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life" (Romans 6:3-4).

Going in to our week in the Dominican Republic, one of my specific prayers was that we would take a trip down to the river or the ocean and baptize Dru Morris. Around a month ago, Dru's younger brother was baptized and on that occasion, I told Dru that if he ever wanted to talk about also taking that step, I would be happy to sit down with him. He didn't seem open to the idea at the time. But God had obviously been working on his heart since then. On the Monday of our trip, I found the opportunity to speak with Dru that I had been looking for--we took a walk down the dusty road beside our camp and talked about baptism.

That evening, as we processed our day, our team members shared passages from their Bibles that they had read during quiet time. When it was Dru's turn, he said, "I have been thinking about something for a long time. This week, I read Mark 16:16 which says, 'Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.' I've decided that it's time for me to be baptized." Applause erupted immediately around the circle! I said, "Ok, this share time is over. There's no reason to wait!" So we loaded up in the Daihatsu and made the short, bumpy trip down to the creek. The mood on the way there and back was nothing short of celebratory--we were singing and cheering and laughing so much that I wondered if the local Dominicans thought we had gotten into some Jose Cuervo at camp. We made a memory that I will never forget!

God had Dru on our trip to the Dominican Republic for a very specific reason--so that he would give his life to Jesus Christ. And his decision to do that was an answer to many prayers. Dru's baptism was a refreshing reminder that sometimes in this life, our will aligns with God's will. God's timing is always perfect, but when our timing happens to match His, it makes for a powerful moment that can reaffirm our faith. Praise God for Dru's decision and for the lifetime of faithfulness which lies ahead of him!

No comments:

Post a Comment