Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Summer Ministry Highlights 3

August is a month of transition. Our ministry (and my mind) is making a shift from the craziness and busy-ness of summer to the routine and rhythm of a new school year. But before the transition is complete, I want to take a little time to reflect on some memorable moments from this summer of ministry. (These are being posted in no particular order.)

Jonah's Testimony
"God said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses...For when I am weak, then I am strong" (2 Corinthians 12:9-10).

Jonah Deal shouldn't be able to walk. According to some doctors, he shouldn't even be alive. Jonah has muscular dystrophy, a debilitating disease that causes his muscles to become weaker with activity instead of stronger. There is no cure and it inevitably gets worse over time. Yet despite the odds, Jonah stood--yes stood!--before us one evening at camp and spoke about his life with this disease, and how it has affected his relationship with God. For years, Jonah felt like his muscular dystrophy was a curse. He blamed and hated God for giving it to him. But slowly, he began to see how God could use his disability for His glory and the good of others. Jonah's public testimony perfectly captured his personality--it was raw and honest, light-hearted and humorous, inspiring and hopeful. His life and friendship are a blessing to me, and so many others.

Will's Baptism
"See, here is water! What prevents me from being baptized?" (Acts 8:36)

On the last night of camp, Will Holder approached me in the dark kitchen of Camp Ney-a-ti during our lights-out singing. "I'd like to be baptized," he quietly said. "That's wonderful," I replied. "I've been praying for this." We went back to our cabins, changed our clothes, rallied the troops, and took that familiar late-night walk to the swimming pool. The act of baptism--in a traditional baptistery, a pool at camp, or a creek in a foreign country--always feels like a "thin place," a place where the distance between heaven and earth seems especially narrow and where God's presence can be sensed more readily. Anytime I have baptized someone, I have felt privileged and humbled to stand in a place where human meets divine in a tangible way. I'm so proud of Will for his decision to begin life with God through baptism.

Time With God
"He who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ" (Philippians 1:6).

God had long since begun a good work in each of the members of our Dominican Republic mission trip team. But it was a blessing to see a glimpse of that ongoing work on its way to completion. During an evening devotional, all of our team members shared how they were spending their morning quiet time. Katie Bass told how she had read the letter to the Philippians, and had written a letter in response to Paul as if she was a Philippian. A few of our girls shared how they had written daily goals and prayers to God in their journals to help them reflect on their trip. And many others shared their favorite Bible verses or a passage they had been reading that week. I was wowed at their personal, enacted, real-life faith!

No comments:

Post a Comment